Old March 25th 04, 06:30 AM
Svein

I wrote a quick start guide to using the VL when it was still using the
DOS program for data up/download. This is now done much better in Strepla
and I have never had any problems using it. The old DOS version only works
in true DOS mode. I also made up a one page menu tree that still remains
valid except for minor software changes in the logger since then. This
information is still found on the Winpilot website under compatible
harware - go right to the bottom of the page.
The logger is not difficult to use once the turnpoints are loaded, tasks
declared, options set and pilot data entered. All this goes into
non-volatile memory. For easy point to point navigation just bring up the
waypoint page and instead of trying to enter a waypoint name you just use
the enter button to set the first point in the database, then you can easily
scroll the databased either backwards or forwards with the up/down buttons
until you reach the point you wish to navigate to and then select it. The 3
buttons have 3 main functions - up or down the menutree and select. Once you
get used to this it is quite intuitive to use the nav functions.
Navigating to a waypoint once selected is just a matter of matching
track and bearing until the logger beeps your arrival. If flying a task -
just remember to set the turnpoint rules correctly as the logger will beep
your arrival in accordance with set rules (sector/beercan) - I missed a
sector once by about 10-15m because of it beer can set).

Svein

"Dan Rihn" wrote in message
om...
Anybody have any tips on using the Volkslogger?
I have found the manual to be very lacking, the three buttons very
clumsy and the logic is terrible.
I'm trying to up load tasksand turnpoints, and be sure that I've
declared the task correctly.

Whe I ask for help at the gliderport I watch others push buttons and
get lost just as fast and easily as I do.

Sure would be great to have a software that I could use to really
communicate withthe VL and see where and what I'm doing in a larger
format.
I have had a tough time with the included StrePla software, SeeYou
seems to be much better. But neither really commnicate back and forth
with the VL very well.
The StePla manual and help butons are very lacking. So far SeeYou wins
hands down.

As a dumb logger the VL is great, no problems downloadig my flights
into SeeYou.
Reall using the functions of the VL is very frustrating.
There has got to be a better way!

Thanks,
Dan Rihn