Old July 25th 05, 07:36 AM
Roger

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 07:35:16 -0500, Darrel Toepfer
wrote:

Brenor Brophy wrote:

Blue Mountain, Dynon & Chelton all have great low cost EFIS systems as long
as your aircraft is an Expermental.

So does anyone know of a good solution to get a glass panel in an old plane
and keep it certified without spending as much as the plane is worth?

Jim Weir/RST Engineering, needs to produce a kit version...

Otherwise look at the PDA/PC versions you can install yourself...

I haven't seen a PDA version of anything in the cockpit that was
useful for me. They are just too small. Add to that a bumpy ride and
they are darn near impossible to read and change settings. Even the
295 I'm using now is difficult to change way points on a rough ride.

Between the 396 (kinda small) and the tablet PC versions you can spend
between $2500 and about $5000. and you are not locked into a specific
panel design. $3500 to $5000 doesn't sound cheap until you start
comparing that to panel mount equivalents.

Of course if you want a pair of Garmin MFDs you can probably get it
done and installed for around $75,000.

What I'd like is a Tablet PC that does everything the 396 does, or a
396 with a tablet PC display. :-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

http://www.pocketfms.com is free...