Old September 26th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Airplanes and Brakes?

On Sep 15, 11:44*am, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
I'm deligthted to see I'm managing to get some arguments and
discussion going. And if you notice, No Profanity?
I challenge my students to learn to taxi without brakes. and I come
down hard if they beat up the airplane with unecessary braking instead
of staying ahead of the airplane. (sometimes even with profanity! Can
you imagine that?)
How about you? If you had to pay for the brakes, tires, and
maintenance, would YOU beat up the airplane?

To be honest I'm always amazed at how cheap tires and brakes are for
airplanes. Almost car prices. There are lots of expensive parts on
airplanes but some parts (brakes, tires, batteries) are very
reasonable. I don't think twice about changing one out.
To your question, it depends on the airplane. Some airplanes can taxi
just fine without brakes and I don't allow my students to use brakes
during taxi in those airplanes. However, an old 172 with worn out
bungies isn't going to turn without some brakes so what-ya-gonna-do?

-Robert, CFII