Old August 30th 18, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Vermont Fatalities Today

wrote on 8/30/2018 10:02 AM:
These sorts of issues, like the fact that around 30% of the ASH-26e owners on
their first flights thought the brakes were locked when they were not

Simply not true. I am not aware of any ASH 26 E first flights with the spoilers
unlocked, and I speak as a 25 year owner of an ASH 26 E, and I started the owners
group, which now includes ASH 31s and other Schleicher self-launchers. I do know
of about 10 over the years that took off with the spoilers unlocked, but that was
primarily in the first few years. A major factor was pilots new to motorgliders
using the spoilers while taxiing - normal operation for a self-launcher with the
wheel brake actuated by the spoiler handle, but not what they were used to from
flying "towed" gliders. I don't think there is anything specific to the ASH 26 E
that makes it more likely a pilot will forget to lock the spoiler.