Old April 6th 05, 06:49 PM
Mike Kanze

Dave,

The biggest conflict I've heard is the fact that they sold Barber's Point
to the state, Ford Island is housing, and K-Bay can't handle a whole
carrier wing.

I'm not sure the Air Wing needs to stay in the Hawaiians with the boat. It
might work as well for the Air Wing to stay on the mainland, with its
training opportunities like NAS Fallon not available in the Hawaiians. This
is different from being forward-deployed to Japan and having access to
Misawa, etc.

Another option might be for the Air Wing to be forward-deployed elsewhere in
the Pacific basin: Japan or Guam, if space permits. They could pick up the
ship in transit from Hawaii to whatever hot spot she's headed.

--
Mike Kanze

"If truth is beauty, how come no one has their hair done in the library?"

- Lily Tomlin

"Dave Morris" wrote in message
Navy pushing for addition of second aircraft carrier in Pacific
Hawaii favored as home base; Guam also considered

I'm in Hawaii, just got out of the Nav after 6 yrs when they wouldn't let
me stay here. They've been talking about this as long as I've been here
(4.5 yrs). The biggest conflict I've heard is the fact that they sold
Barber's Point to the state, Ford Island is housing, and K-Bay can't
handle a whole carrier wing.

What is the point of having a carrier forward deployed without an airbase
to supply her planes?

Do you know any more to this story? I know that it would mean
approximately 30,000+ new people where ever she goes (families, support
activities, etc.)