Old April 10th 04, 03:53 AM
Brad Z

"O. Sami Saydjari" wrote in message
The Approach in question is SDF RWY 2 at KISW. I was coming in from the
south, nearly lined up with the inbound course of 021 degrees. I was in
touch with ATC. The LOM/IAF is called NEPCO. The ATC asked if I wanted
"direct NEPCO." I said yes. Within about 10 miles of the airport, the
controller said that frequency change was approved. I believe I was out
of radar contact by this time (radar coverage in the area is spotty).

Yep, if you heard anything along the lines of "Vectors for the approach" in
your clearance, this whole discussion is moot.

1. Since there is no "NO PT" indicated on the chart, does that mean that
I am required to do a 180 deg turn when I reach NEPCO so I can track
outbound (201), then do a PT, then come back? That seems a little odd
to me.

According to the rules, yes, and technically ATC expects you to follow the
rules. More than likely, however, your controller expected you to continue
inbound without flying the PT. You could clarify the situation by
indicating that upon reaching the LOM you would be making a right turn to
track the FAC outbound for the published course reversal. This would likely
be replied with a "N12345 roger, report PT inbound" or something similar.

There is nothing in the AIM that makes an NoPT exception when you're already
set up on the FAC in non-vectoring situations. If you're not on a
transition with a NoPT note, or some other circumstance noted on the
approach procedure that excludes flying the PT, the PT must be flown.

2. If so, and I am assuming it is, should I have positioned myself to
approach NEPCO at an intercept that did not require a 180 deg turn to
get to the outbound course? Maybe come at it from the east?

Not necessary. Whatever is the most direct and allowable means of reaching
NEPCO is fine.

3. Suppose that when I reach NEPCO (IAF), I am below the cloud deck.

1) cancel IFR
2) Request Visual or Contact Approach
3) Land, assuming you meet the requirements of 91.175c

Assume that I have switched over to unicom frequency at that point. Is
it permissible to abort the IFR approach and turn inbound for a visual
approach. Presumably, you would have to ask ATC permission to do this.

Unless you're NORDO, you're required to contact ATC anytime you deviate from
a clearance.

What if you can not raise ATC on the radio? Can you go visual on your
own?

You're NORDO in VFR, just land, and cancel IFR on the ground.

-Sami
N2057M, Piper Turbo Arrow III