Old March 20th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Rosenfeld

Default I really should know the answer - Even or Odd altitude ?

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:32:57 -0400, "Peter R." wrote:

On 3/20/2007 2:56:15 PM, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

Yes, but the question asked had to do with what altitude the OP "should"
file. There is no rule specifying what altitude a pilot "should" file in
controlled airspace.

And therein is the root of our difference of opinion. I don't interpret the
word "should" to mean "required," as in what altitude is required. Instead,
the word "should" implies to me a request for what is practical and hence my
advice.

In my example, I should always file the correct altitude for direction of
flight if I don't want clearance delivery to correct me, tie up the
frequency, and delay receiving my clearance. But that is just my experience
in the northeast US.

Fair enough.