Old June 27th 04, 12:12 PM

"Louis L. Perley III" wrote:

I was flying into KSNY (Sidney, NE) after shooting an approach into KAKO
(Akron, CO) and requested the VOR DME Rwy 12 approach. I told center that I
wanted to do the full approach complete with the DME arc, as I needed
practice with these (currently an instrument student). The controller
cleared me direct to OGJUN. Problem is on the Jeppesen chart the DME arc
shows an IAF for the arc on either the 220 and 040 radials from the VOR with
a DME distance of 10 nm but neither is labeled with any sort of name.
Thankfully my instructor had the other type of approach plate with him and
that has the names labeled so I knew which one to fly to (I could have asked
the controller I guess). So my question is, why doesn't the Jeppesen chart
have the IAFs on the respective arcs labeled with the names? I thought
Jeppesen charts had all the same information that the others did, just a
different overall format?

--
Louis L. Perley III
N46000

You should pose your question to Jeppesen tech support.

What *appears* to have happened is that Jeppesen elected to remove those fixes
when the standalong RNAV approaches for Runways 12 and 30 became effective last
year, and the GPS overlay authorization was removed from the VOR/DME 12 IAP.

But, those fixes are still authorized for GPS transition onto the approach,
although you can no longer use GPS for the final approach segment.

Seems to me like Jeppesen screwed up removing them, based on the false
assumption that GPS can no longer be used to fly the ARC initial segments
because it's no longer an overlay approach.

When you call them, you might point out that ATC is still using those fixes for
/G aircraft. I presume you were /G?