Old June 5th 04, 12:31 AM
Journeyman

In article qbntc.8549$Ly.5185@attbi_s01, Peter MacPherson wrote:
Anybody flown into CYUL(Dorval) lately? Thinking about heading up there for
the long weekend.
Any advice on FBO's and anything else would be appreciated. I'll be
departing from the Boston area.

Dang! I'm sorry I missed your post. By coincidence, I did go to
Montreal last weekend. Parked at SkyService (aka Esso Avitat)
(Esso is the Canadian name for Exxon--S.O. get it?).

Everything went smoothly. I had flight following from Burlington, VT
Approach and they handed me off to Montreal Terminal. The Terminal
controller asked if I was familiar with Montreal, and I told them
I was heading to the Mercier Bridge and he said, "good.". Long before
I could see the bridge, I could see the narrowing between Lac St.
Louis and the downtown area. The runway on the GA side of the airport
was half-closed for construction but they had 4000 feet available.
Cleared customs over the phone. SkyService had a rental car waiting
for me since I'd called ahead before leaving. They're in the middle of
renovations, so it's a bit messy. They waived their overnight parking
fee because I filled the tank. Leaving, they were very nice. Let me
make a couple of long distance phone calls to straighten out a customs
snafu.

The airport was pretty quiet. I heard the controllers talking in
French to some local training flights, something about asking them
when they were coming back and telling them to keep their squawk code.

I've driven out to St. Hubert. Dorval, er Pierre Elliot Trudeau
International is way more convenient.

Looks like Hemisph-Aire where I started my initial training is gone.
In fact, it didn't look like there were any little planes left,
except for transients.

Morris