Old July 16th 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
BlackBeard

Default The Unmanned Combat Air System Carrier Demonstration Program: A New Dawn for Naval Aviation?

On Jul 15, 2:49 pm, "John Carrier" wrote:

A somewhat simpler exercise with latency NOT a problem. I was thinking on
the order of a machine being maneuvered somewhere in Afghanistan by a driver
in Colo Springs. When you consider the distances, even at the speed of
light the satellite relay and delay offer enough time to make the job
difficult. Perhaps with sufficient nintendo skills, that might be overcome.

Perhaps you are right. For the record I believe we are a very long
way away from the 'pilotless air battle' scenario. But I can't help
but wonder if the scales will tip when technology allows virtual
cockpits or other devices that can let the remote pilot obtain SA
comparable or better than piloted vehicles. One pilot in the virtual
cockpit and 3 WSO's monitoring sensors and aux systems? An independent
rear-facing gunner or two (bring back the TBF
If you can build a half-dozen small UCAV's (RPV's) for the price of
one JSF and pilot, any latency problems might be negated by the
ability to send up 3v1. Then if everyone moves to RPV's the the
latency problems balance each other out.
Just some thoughts...

BB

I guess everybody has some mountain to climb.
It's just fate whether you live in Kansas or Tibet...