Old June 14th 18, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Safety against commercial pressure?

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 3:25:40 PM UTC-7, wrote:
A private owner(s) might choose to not fly not because it dangerous but because there isn't sufficient lift to make it worth the effort. 5000' tows with a glide back to the ground are not uncommon at commercial ops.

Or a private pilot with low experience may not fly because conditions are beyond his limited skill set. Those same conditions may pose no issues for an experienced commercial pilot.

While I can see how one might read into that post that commercial ops take excessive risks because of the money, I feel that's a bit of a leap. Just my 2 cents.

Wow, tough crowd. We just lost a commercial ride pilot, my first post was to honor ride pilots everywhere, I know what they do. I have walked a mile in their shoes. The CFI/ride pilots fly everyday the shop is open, doesn't make any difference what the lift is, the wind (largely) or most of the things that keep the private owners on the ground. Doesn't make any difference if it will be a "fun" day or a challenging day. They fly because a ride walks in the door puts down the money, maybe says something like "I want a flight like Bruno posts on YouTube." They fly these rides safely and return the passengers to their families. I am extremely sorry we lost a pilot and her fare and I was just honoring her and the others like her.

I will say it one last time, I certainly have much respect for the CFI's and commercial pilots out there that help keep gliding operations open so us private owners can fly. If you feel you need to judge me for this respect, don't bother, get your commercial and go fly rides for year or two.