Old September 14th 18, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Too many accidents

So...Â* If you'll only train spins in an aircraft with a "standard"
recovery, what's a solo pilot to do when he encounters a "non-standard"
spin recovery requirement?Â* This sounds to me like something is lacking...

On 9/14/2018 6:44 AM, Tango Whisky wrote:
Le vendredi 14 septembre 2018 14:30:05 UTC+2, Jonathan Walker a écritÂ*:
Just to correct a couple of misconceptions about the ASK21 and spinning.

It WILL spin without the use of a spin kit, it just needs a rearward CofG.
Normally (but not always) with an instructor on board the CofG will be to
far forward but once the pupil goes solo then that can be a very different
matter! Any talk that an aircraft is unspinable is the type of thing that
can lull trainees into a false sense of security.

As for the comment that it make a good spin trainer with the spin weights I
would have to disagree. Its spin entry and recovery are inconsistent even
at the same CofG. If you look at the updated flight manual even the spin
recovery is non-standard. Note the point that says
"Warning: Fall forward stick may retard or even prevent spin recovery"

https://www.alexander-schleicher.de/..._TM23_E_HB.pdf

If your not careful you are training pilots with a recovery technique that
will not work for all other aircraft.

I agree with this. With the spin kit, spin entry is not at all like what you would see with an LS4, LS8 or Discus (which can be brought into a spin with the nose not much above the horizon. And I don't like the fact that recovery is non-standard. If the student uses the wrong technique, you will do 3-4 more turns after you've taken over controls. For that reasin, I don't do spin training with the ask below 1000 m AGL.

--
Dan, 5J