Old July 28th 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Highflyer

Default Master cylinders

wrote in message
eshell.org...
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Ernest Christley wrote:

Excellent post, Stealth, except avoid the red aviation fluid. Well, some
of the red aviation fluid. The stuff is fairly flammable.

What about using plain old DOT3 automotive brake fluid? It's cheap,
available everywhere, and non-flammable.

I do not recommend it. Ever, in an aircraft. Had a friend who used DOT3
fluid in his brakes. Worked fine until he actually used the brakes. He
tapped the brakes on landing. The brakes heated up inside those itty bitty
wheels we use on airplanes. The DOT3 fluid BOILED. Brakes locked up REAL
tight. Airplane went on its back. Made for some really expensive cheap
brake fluid.

Most aircraft brakes and hydraulic systems are made for 5606. Cherry juice.

Aircraft built prior to the end of WWII were probably NOT built for 5606.
In the thirties and early forties GA aircraft with hydraulic brakes ( there
weren't all that many of them ) use a mixture of glycerin and alcohol for
brake fluid. For those systems you can use a DOT fluid but NOT DOT3. Use
the silicone fluid. It costs about $20 a quart. It will not cause the
natural rubber parts in your brake system to melt like 5606 will! Been
there, had that done to me!

Highflyer
Highflight Aviation Services
Pinckneyville Airport ( PJY )