Old July 12th 03, 08:17 AM
Larry Fransson

In article 85ec12b8685df60ff2661cb9f832b12b@TeraNews,
"Richard Kaplan" wrote:

That sound interesting. What requirements does the sim have to be able to

type ratings on it?

Level D simulator which basically becomes so real even the weather depiction
landing in low IFR conditions is realistic --- this is a multi-million $
sim.

You don't have to go quite that far. Level C will do fine. Their
visuals are plenty good. They just don't do daylight visuals or have
quite the level of fidelity that Level D simulators have. A night ILS
to minimums in a Level C simulator looks very much like what I've seen
when doing it for real. The landing lights illuminating the pavement,
and the haze for that matter, look very real.

When I talk about fidelity, I'm talking essentially about realism. A
Level C simulator taxiing pretty much glides along as smooth as silk.
The Level D simulator simulates the bumps in the taxiway. In a Level D
simulator, the sounds you hear are very close to the real thing (e.g. my
previous example of dragging a wing on landing). In the Level C
simulator I fly every year, it's very difficult to distinguish between
the sounds caused by a bird strike, an engine failing catastrophically,
and many other things because they're all created by the instructor
smacking the wall of the simulator with his hand.

--
Larry Fransson
Aviation software for Mac OS X!