Old April 27th 10, 08:21 PM
parkered parkered is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemxr View Post
Reviving a very old thread here. I was doing a little research because two days ago at the R/C model airplane flying site here in town I met an old gentleman wearing a WWII veterans cap with various insignia. I really treasure those old guys and their stories so I asked him about his service.

He said he'd flown B-29s and such in the South Pacific. Had quite a time of it. We talked about the B-29 and he commented how sweet it was to fly compared to his earlier planes. When I asked him the name of his plane he chuckled, looked around and said semi-quietly "We called it 'The Cock Wagon.'. On the nose it had a rooster pulling a cart. There was supposed to be a girl too but we lost the plane before the nose are was finished."

So there you have it, the pilot of the "Cock Wagon" is in his 80s now, alive and well and flying model airplanes in Casa Grande, AZ.

If I see him again I'll try to get a bit more info from him, maybe a picture. He said for many years he didn't like to talk about the war but now people are asking, especially the younger folks in their 20s, and he was starting to reminisce more.

Doug
My dad was a crew member on the "Cock Wagon" in Guam in WWII. He was a side gunner, although he said they took out the side guns and covered the hatch so that they could fly higher and faster. He said they got a new commander who took offense at the name and they had to change it to "Little Red Wagon".