Old July 3rd 18, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Emergency Exit

On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 8:00:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have flown with a a 1050-BRS for about 10 years in two Genesis-2 sailplanes (sold one, missed it, so I bought another one and the BRS availability was a big part of deciding to buy another one), I can provide some basic info. The deployment max airspeed is 138 mph and 1050# G/W with no stated max or minimum altitude, but saves have been obtained as low as 350 feet! Repack every 6 years for $1000 bucks and replace rocket fuel every 12 years (cost unknown, but estimate the 12 year repack and new fuel should come in under $1500. Initial cost is $5000+ 1000 installation (in a Genesis-2). The Genesis is the most comfortable ship I have ever flown because the personal chute was replaced by a 4" pad with only lap belt and shoulder harness. No way to jettison the chute, but that's also true with most back-packs used in sailplanes. I believe it would take a good 40 knot wind to drag the whole sailplane on the ground, after landing..........and if that were to happen, I believe I would just wait for the ship to hang up on something.
The system is well engineered with safety pin used on the ground and even if the red handle were accidentally kicked with pin out, it takes a 35# pull about 6" to fire the rocket! I take great comfort in my ability to just pull the little red handle should it ever become necessary.
Hope this helps,
JJ

What is the structural path from parachute risers to pilots seat/seatbelts? That seems to me to be the weakest link with BRS implementation.