Old December 1st 04, 11:33 PM
Robert M. Gary

(Thomas Ploch) wrote in message . com...
What I would really like to know, and don't seem to find anywhere, is
how is a tailwheel like a Scott SUPPOSED to work. In other words, is
the released condition only for performing tight ground manuvers or is
it expected to release or castor in other situations? Does it
release differently when there is weight on the tailwheel than when I
have the tail raised during preflight inspection? Overall, I would say
the functioning of entire tailwheel mechanism is a little bit of a
mystery.

It should take enough force that a cross wind landing SHOULD NOT
unlock it. You really need it locked during landing because its your
only way to control direction once the air stops flowing over the
tail. When they start to wear out, they may break loose too easily and
result in possible ground loops. The only time I ever ground looped a
taildragger was as a result of this. The outside main did come off the
ground but I was slow enough that the wing tip did not touch the
ground. I should have been quicker on the brakes.

-Robert