Old April 22nd 04, 03:17 AM
Judah

I don't know CLE airspace that well, but I have flown through NY's class
B IFR a few times without trouble in the past 6 months or so. (Not a
whole lot of experience, admittedly, but I've done it several times now).
Basically, they had my fly the preferred route at the defined altitude
with little or no additional vectoring except to give me a chance to get
to my altitude (6000' that day).

It might be overkill, because they'll change your routing if they need to
anyway, but I would check the AFD for prefferred routes from airports
near your intended flight path, and file on their routes at their
altitudes. I would suspect that you have the least amount of likelihood
of being vectored around if you are in their "highway" system following
along with everyone else... It may be slightly less direct for you, but I
would guess it is more likely to be accepted as filed that way.

I would suggest you bring your flight computer and some scrap paper. If
you're that close on fuel, you should probably create a "backup plan"
stop in case the winds are going to put you over anyway... I haven't
looked at your flight plan, but I fly an archer, and my max fuel time is
about 90 minutes longer than my max bladder time, so I never really have
that problem anyway.

"dutch" wrote in
link.net:

I have a fairly new Instrument Rating and need to fly my (non-turbo)
Arrow from Chicago to Binghamton NY.

The most efficient dry route appears to be V6 via Dryer, but that takes
me right through the middle of the Cleveland Class B. Is this likely
to be accepted as filed, or am I likely to get vectored extensively out
of the way? I need to know for fuel planning (old Arrow, small tanks).
The Canada route is a little longer and that runs through Detroit
Class B.

Suggestions/experiences from any of you graybeards (figuratively, of
course) out there would be appreciated.