Old January 29th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Intercepting the ILS

wrote in message
oups.com...

Yesterday I was out getting an IPC. We were doing the Stockton, CA
ILS. ATC had us intercepting the localizer at 2000 feet. The altitude
for
glideslope interception is 1800 ( underlined ).

My old CFII taught me that the glideslope interception altitude on
the chart is a minimum altitude, and that it was fine to intercept it
higher. So I just tootled along at 2000 - figuring it was simpler to
do one configuration change at GS interception rather than three
changes - one to descend the 200 feet, another to level off, and
a third to intercept the glideslope.

The new CFII criticized this procedure and told me that the plate
specified 1800, and it was wrong to intercept at 2000. Which
one was right?

Your old one. Did your new one happen to say why he felt it was wrong?