Old February 23rd 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

Default annual interruptus

Matt Whiting wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:

That is a different problem and is the one that should be
addressed, not providing early retirement for teachers.

So, what are you saying, Matt? That an actuarial system should be
devised that allows every 55 year old to be able to retire with full
pension? Or only teachers?

No, I'm saying the classroom environment should be fixed so that
teachers last more than 5 years in the profession and don't need to
retire at age 55 due to burn-out.

Matt

There are several factors other than burn-out that lead to that 5 year in
the profession figure. My son is now in 9th grade. Looking back at his
elementary teachers 1-5th grade teachers look like this as far a careers go.

1st- She was in her second year teaching. 1 year after my son was in her
class he got married and pregnant and stayed home with her new baby. Hasn't
returned to teaching.

2nd- Been there for many years and was in her mid 30s still teaching.

3rd- 2nd year teaching and that was 2 years too many she quit teaching and
went on to something else.

4th- Retired the next year at age 65.

5th- Had been teaching 2 or 3 years, got married the next year and became a
stay at home wife.

The point I'm getting to is that teachers change careers like lots of people
and for a number of reasons.