Old September 10th 04, 04:32 AM
helicopterandy

How long have you been studying helicopters? Five minutes? Saying as
you did above that "lowering the collective wouldn't do anything for
the tail rotor action" speaks volumes of your obvious lack of even the
basics of flying helis.

Oh yeah? Well explain to me how lowering the collective without reducing
power would affect the effect (action) of the tail and improve matters in
the scenrio. If anything, lowering collective would result in a reduced load
on the rotor system and an INCREASE in rotor speed and a corresponding
increase in tail rotor speed, which as you'll recal is no longer
controllable, so the net result would be in increase in yaw rate. Lowering
collective alone would NOT do anything for the uncontrolled yaw which our
intrepid pilot was encountering.

BEAVIS,
YOUR ABOVE POST IS SO WRONG AND MISGUIDED THAT I WON'T BOTHER
RESPONDING TO YOU ANY FURTHER AFTER THIS ONE. BUT DO YOURSELF ONE
FAVOR BEFORE YOU AGAIN MAKE AN IDIOT OUT OF YOURSELF HE
ASK ANY HELICOPTER PILOT WHO FLYS A SHIP THAT HAS A COUNTER-CLOCKWISE
ROTATION MAIN ROTOR WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LOWER COLLECTIVE? HINT: YOU
GET A NICE YAW TO THE LEFT SINCE YOU ARE TAKING TORQUE/POWER OUT OF
THE SYSTEM AND SO YOU NEED TO APPLY RIGHT PEDAL. THAT RIGHT PEDAL
TAKES THE PITCH/THRUST OUT OF THE TAIL ROTOR.
WHEN YOU LOWER COLLECTIVE YOU ARE REDUCING POWER, MORON. STOP THINKING
THAT POWER IS ONLY REDUCED BY REDUCING ROTOR SPEED. GO STUDY JUST A
BIT.
ONE MORE THING, THE FIRST THING MOST PILOT OPERATING HANDBOOKS STATE
IS THAT IN THE EVENT OF LOSS OF TAIL ROTOR EFFECTIVENESS IN FLIGHT THE
FIRST THING THE PILOT SHOULD DO IS LOWER COLLECTIVE.
YOU ARE TRYING TO ARGUE ALGEBRA WITH A MATH PRO WHEN YOU OBVIOUSLY
DON'T KNOW WHAT 2 PLUS 2 EQUALS.
REGARDS,
MARK
PS
HOW MANY PIC HOURS DO YOU HAVE IN HELICOPERS? I'D GUESS ZERO. NO WAIT,
I'D GUARANTEE THAT YOU HAVE ZERO. He he