Old September 13th 03, 09:51 PM
Steve Waltner

In article , Ken
Sandyeggo wrote:
ust a point of curiousity. Accepting payment for flight instruction
in an experimental has been illegal unless it was a gyro with the PRA
exemption. I believe the rules have changed recently, but how did
Rotorway get away with giving lessons at their factory for all those
years in experimental helicopters? Did they say it was "free" if you
bought and built a kit?

This confusion is because you are thinking of the rules for
Experimental/Amatuer-Built. Obviously Rotorway couldn't get by with
calling their training ships Amateur-Built, so they are in one of the
other Experimental categories.

http://www.landings.com/ shows three N numbers that are registered to
Rotorway which I was able to easily find. These are N904, N906, N907.
The first two are Experimental/Market Survey, while the third appeard
to be a number they have reserved for future use. The Market Survey
registration allows the company to give demo rides and flight training
in an aircraft that has not gone through the FAR 23 certification
process.

Steve