Old February 29th 04, 08:45 PM
Chip Jones

"Dean Wilkinson" wrote in message
m...
Well, first of all this was a center controller, not a tower
controller. I don't believe that center controllers work alone in the
U.S., if they do I would be surprised. Secondly, their phone system
was offline and their conflict warning system was down... what, no
money for backup systems? Would that happen in the U.S.? I sure hope
not...

1. Center controllers do indeed work alone in the US. We shouldn't, but
because we are very understaffed, we do. Two controllers per Area is the
staffing number for several midnight watches in my ARTCC. We don't have
both controllers on duty together all night long for an entire 8 hour shift.

2. We *routinely* operate on a back-up radar system on mid shifts while the
main bang is down for maintenance. This includes long periods of time where
the conflict warning system is down and a solo controller is on duty while
the other controller is on break. And yes, we generally have some air
traffic all night long...

Safe? Your call...

Chip, ZTL