Old May 1st 05, 12:45 AM
Charlie Derk

Default PIREP: Potomac TRACON Tour

All -

Just wanted to post my experiences from a tour that I took today of the
Potomac TRACON in Warrenton, VA.

First off, I got my instrument rating back in January, and today was the
first time I flew a ton of hard IFR. It was a 2.3 hour trip from KABE to
KHEF. I went IMC at 1000' MSL and broke out in Manassas at 700' MSL - what
a rush.

Anyway, I went down for an ADIZ seminar and tour of the TRACON. What a
facility! Kudos to all the controllers that came in on their day off to
give tours and explain the things they do to keep us safe. It was
enlightening.

I think one of the best questions that was asked was their biggest pet
peeves... most of them were regarding VFR pilots:
- Not being brief (giving your life history when calling in)
- Not executing turns in a timely fashion.
- Thinking that you switched frequencies, and you didn't, and in turn giving
your life history again!

All in all, it was a good trip (a) I got lots of good practice in the soup
and (b) I have a better understanding of what ATC does, why they do it, and
how to make their lives easier.

And for those of you that live or fly in/around the Washington DC area and
must deal with the ADIZ... ATC hates it just as much as we do.

I spoke to the gentleman that coordinates these tours, and he mentioned that
they plan on doing it once a quarter until the attendance dies down. There
were two seminars today, and I bet the one that I attended had about 75
people there. The personalized tours consisted of a controller working with
about 5 attendees. If you get the chance, by all means, do it - its worth
it.

I found out about it through the AOPA email newletter that comes out. The
thing fills up fast, so be quick. If you don't get in, you'll get on a
waiting list and if you still get cut, you'll have first crack at the next
one.

Regards,
Charlie Derk