Old July 9th 09, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alan[_6_]

Default Help. Obtaining a UK Gliding License on the basis of my American License

In article Andy writes:
On Jul 8, 11:45=A0am, Paul Jessop wrote:
You're clearly eligible for one (as you have an ICAO compliant glider
licence/license/certificate and I assume you have 5h PIC in the last year=

)

There may be a small catch here. It is my understanding that most US
pilot certificates are not ICAO compliant since they do not include
the statement that the pilot is proficient in English. New
certificates include the endorsement.

"Background: Effective March 5, 2008, ICAO Annex 1 (Personnel
Licensing) standards require that all private, commercial or ATPs as
well as FEs and flight navigators operating internationally as
required crewmembers of an airplane or helicopter have an airman
certificate with an endorsement of language proficiency. In the case
of persons holding a U.S. airman certificate, the language proficiency
endorsement will state =93English Proficient=94

So Papa3 you may need to get a new FAA certificate before you try to
use it as a basis for getting a BGA certificate.

Andy

Probably not. From http://www.luchtzak.be/forums/viewto...p?f=14&t=38606

Effective March 5, 2008, ICAO Annex 1 (Personnel Licensing) standards
require that all private, commercial or ATPs as well as FEs and flight
navigators operating internationally as required crewmembers of an airplane
or helicopter have an airman certificate with an endorsement of language
proficiency. In the case of persons holding a U.S. airman certificate,
the language proficiency endorsement will state ?English Proficient?.

On October 26, 2007, ICAO published State Letter AN 12/44.6-07/68 regarding
Assembly - Resolution A36-11- Proficiency in the English Language Used for
Radiotelephony, which automatically delays implementation up until March 5,
2011 for those countries notifying ICAO. As such, the U.S. has notified
ICAO that it file a difference that will extend the U.S. compliance date
until March 5, 2009 in order to provide sufficient time for all affected
U.S. airman certificate holder to comply with the ICAO Language
Proficiency airman certificate endorsement requirements.

Since we are talking about gliders, not airplanes or helicopters, the
requirement would appear not to apply.

Further, since notification has been made to the ICAO, you would have
until March 5, 2009 for international operations in airplanes and helicopters.

If the operation were fully within the UK, in a UK registered aircraft,
it would seem to not be an international operation, so the requirement
probably would not apply there, anyway.

Alan