Old November 11th 09, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Default First time passenger in a GA plane - Video

wrote:
On Nov 8, 9:10 pm, "Ęslop" wrote:
Got any advice on getting a reluctant wife to fly?

/snip/

Talk things out, and NEVER say oops, crap, WTF when something is
amiss. Troubleshoot silently whenever possible. And of course, with
passengers, don't "surprise them" with any abrupt moves.

Hopefully others will chime in with other tips.

This reminds me that there is a person that may have been a pilot if it
were not for me. I had just gotten my PPSEL and my room mate at the time
wanted to go up and see what this was like. I have very few hours at the
time, probably less than 50. We went up and just did turns and straight
flight. He wanted to know what was the wildest thing you have to do to
get a license. I thought maybe it was the approach to landing stall. I
was telling him all the things I was doing and what was going to happen,
when the plane stalled just before I was to tell him the nose would
drop. He grabbed just about everything in the plane and want to go back
down immediately. I never could get him to go back up. When I got
married, I had my take lessons and she got though three solos before we
started having a family and put her lessons off. She was never afraid to
fly, but she could see no reason to go bore holes in the sky. Now, when
we used the plane to save 3 hours to travel one way to see the grand
kids, that was another story. That was OK.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP