Old September 10th 14, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Mounting camera on wing of glider

On Tuesday, December 25, 2001 5:15:06 AM UTC-8, Niclas Schopenhauer wrote:
Has anyone here tried mounting a camera on the wing (or tail) of a glider?
If so, how did you do it?

All my pictures (from inside the cockpit) are pretty boring in comparison
with the pictures you see in glider magazines. I searched Google, but there
isn't much useful infomation there. A member of my club just taped a small
camera to the wing, but I'd like to use a bigger (1-2 lb/0.5-1 kg) camera,
and I don't like the idea of just taping it to the wing. That can't be good
for the camera OR the wing.

Are there any wing mounts available? Or are gliders designed for these
things. Vaguely remember something about some gliders being delivered with
predrawn wires for the camera trigger...

I'd be using a Cirrus or a Discus, and the camera would be on timer or
infrared trigger, to prevent having to tape a wire to the wing.

cant beat the go pro. use wifi to control. I have mounted them on the fuselage, tail and wing with the standard adhesive mounts with the camera, flown in excess of 125k airspeed with no issue. only problem is short battery life due to the cold at high altitudes. get the external additional battery pack.