Old June 22nd 15, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

Default Gliders Transponder exemption and Project EVA

I have seen little on TABS information to define, cost, installation or even if it will be acceptable to the FAA. I see the neat little 1"X1" GPS WAAS capable receivers, but no information on the rest of the TABS unit, power or antenna requirement.

Many (some?) glider owners and clubs are installing transponders on their own. The ADSB mandate for tow planes will be hard enough on most clubs. But a lot of clubs may not be operating within the 30nm Mode C veil and will not be required to equip their tow planes. Luckily we are starting to see new transponders with GPS to meet the ADSB out requirement at a reasonable cost.