Old January 18th 18, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Tying down a fiber glass ship.

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 10:09:23 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Don’t have a hangar, so planning on tying down the glider, a standard cirrus, during the weekend. Has any one done this consistently. How bad did the gel coat deteriorate; any tips?

For those who say covering and rigging take the same time, I'd have to question how they are covering and how they are rigging. I can cover my glider in about 7 minutes, remove the covers and store in about 5.

In practice, I wash the glider prior to putting the covers on: the bugs are still fresh, it keeps the covers clean, and the glider is ready to fly the next day. Washing and covering takes about 25 minutes.

I do not tie out other than overnight between flights. Many have told me this is useless, as the sun is low and the UV damage done in flight. However after 15 years of this, the covers have significant UV damage - damage that is on the cover, not on the glider.