Old February 25th 10, 09:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Keith Willshaw[_1_]

Default Navy F-35 - offline for a month

"J" wrote in message
On Feb 24, 10:53 pm, hcobb wrote:

Navy fighters tend to launch very fast with partially full fuel tanks.

Slosh - Slosh - Slosh - Tip over...

Ah, now I understand. I appreciate the time and effort.

Thanks . . . J

A word to the wise. Cobb has an infallible ability to get everything WRONG

In this case the problem referred to is the transfer of mechanical loads
exerted on the airframe during a catapult launch.

By Tony Capaccio

Jan. 29 (Bloomberg) -- Lockheed Martin Corp. is fixing a structural weakness
in the Navy version of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter that limits the jet's
ability to launch from aircraft carriers, according to a company spokesman.

Engineers in July discovered a "strength shortfall" in an aluminum structure
in the aircraft's center fuselage that helps absorb stresses during a
catapult takeoff, Lockheed spokesman John Kent said today in an e-mailed
statement.

Keith