Old January 3rd 18, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 1000km flights

I always thought that physical and mental endurance was a key factor that nationals and Worlds are meant to test? I thought that is exactly what the longer contests are for. Flights of 5 plus hours were common along with a hell of a lot more long days/nights making retreaves. I think the written words of Moffat, Johnson, Butler, Gimmey, and good ole Wally Scott would back me up on this point.

If tests of mental and physical endurance are not a major factor of what contests are all about, and the trend to midigate all the "risk" factors continues, then why not just eliminate the ships all together, set up the contest scenarios on simulators with 3 hour MAT's and see who wins. Geesh, what has happened to our sport.