Old January 3rd 18, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

Default 1000km flights

On Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 7:29:03 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I think Sebastian Kawa was referring to the combination of 1000km flights and racing. The African camps (I have not flown in Namibia but have flown from Gariep in South Africa) are very relaxed and laid back. Most gliders are self-launchers or at least fitted with sustainers so long retrieves are not an issue. Everybody assists everybody and pilots set their own tasks according to their mood/attitude/experience for the day. Pilots think nothing of taking days-off and experiencing the wildlife or just relaxing by the pool between flying days. Competitions are a bit different - it's a far more stressful environment. Now combine 1000km tasks into the competitive racing environment - and Sebastian is then correct when he states its a recipe for accidents.

That's exactly what Sebastian was referring to: the competition flying. My remark was a reaction to Jonathan's opinion that 'On a 17,500 foot day, tasks of 3 or 4 hours do not do Nephi justice.' And he is probably right in this specific case, but generally, the golden mean has to be found between number and length of the tasks flown in an area with consistently excellent conditions.
The interview I had is mind can be watched here (for Sebastian's opinion in question please start at 14:00):

https://youtu.be/mH6YVbUotDQ?t=826