Old September 11th 05, 08:02 AM
On-Condition

Drew Dalgleish wrote:
On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 02:38:36 GMT, On-Condition
wrote:

Just wondering, exactly why are radial diesels not part of the
diesel revival? You can't beat radials on airplanes for smooth
reliability. I once saw a cracked-off jug pounding through the
cowling as the engine was still running (the single Otter had
just landed).

If I won the lottery I'd buy a machine shop. My fist project would be
to machine a radial case to accept cylinders off a deutz engine

There are excavators using those, screaming full tilt all day
long with next to no airflow!

BTW, weren't there some diesel radials in the early days of
aviation? I've seen some photos I think. The high torque
of diesel almost begs for that can't-keep-from-turning
radial geometry.

Anybody know if the Lycoming/Detroit will be air-cooled opposed?