Old January 2nd 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default The Gyro House

I have had good luck with the Gyro House (2 encounters), Jon, but I will be
certain in the future to specify EXACTLY what I expect from them. Your
posting was very helpful.

DB

"Jonathan Goodish" wrote in message
I wanted to follow up with the conclusion to this ordeal so that others
may benefit in the future.

The Gyro House did agree to send me a replacement gyro for the
"repackaged" one that was 8 months old, though they wouldn't send it
with the priority shipping that I needed to meet my schedule. In order
to get the gyro to my mechanic before I left town, I had it shipped to
the shipper's distribution center and drove to the distribution center
(through the snow) to get it in the morning before I left town.

The new gyro was date stamped October 2005 and was in the original
manufacturer's packaging, so I was pleased with the replacement unit. I
had to pay to ship the "repackaged" gyro back to them to get the credit
(they did charge me when they shipped the replacement.) Once they
received the "repackaged" gyro, they did credit me without a hassle,
though they called me shortly thereafter and tried to tell me that it
was really Sigma-Tek's mistake and not theirs, since Sigma-Tek had
mislabeled the box. I have no idea what their explanation could
possibly mean, and they didn't explain why Sigma-Tek would have placed a
badge for "The Gyro House" on the gyro and then repackaged it
differently from the normal Sigma-Tek packaging, so needless to say
TGH's explanation doesn't make any sense. I refuse to believe that they
didn't know they were sending me a repackaged (and possibly not new)
gyro. But, they gave me the credit without a problem, and that's what
mattered.

They also provided the promised core credit for my old gyros.

I can't say that I wouldn't do business with them again, but before I
did, I would get their agreement on terms & conditions in writing before
the transaction. I suspect that they would be unwilling to make the
same commitments to me in writing that they made on the phone.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that most other vendors would have performed
any better.

JKG

In article ,
Jonathan Goodish wrote:

Does anyone have experience with The Gyro House in Auburn, CA?

I ordered two factory-new Sigma-Tek vac gyros from them recently, with
air freight. When I ordered them, I mentioned repeatedly that I was
looking for factory new gyros and preferred that the gyros be no more
than 30-60 days old. The Gyro House confirmed that the gyros were
factory new, and that they had some on the shelf that were within the 30
day window.

When the gyros arrived, one of them appeared to have been repackaged
(shrink-wrapped) by The Gyro House with one of their stickers on top of
the instrument (under the shrink-wrap.) This gyro was date-stamped
April 2005.

The other gyro appeared to be in the original Sigma-Tek packaging and
was date-stamped November 2005.

Having concerns about the repackaging and shelf-life of the gyro from
April, I called Sigma-Tek, who told me that their gyros have a
recommended 6 month shelf life. They suggested that I ask The Gyro
House to replace the unit dated April 2005.

The Gyro House told me that I shouldn't have any concerns about a gyro
that's been on the shelf for 8 months, but they weren't willing to
commit that the gyro wouldn't have a reduced life-span. They did offer
to locate a newer gyro and ship it to me as an exchange, but they balked
at my request for expedited shipping even though they did not ship me
what I'd asked for the first time. They further told me that they would
be losing money on the returned gyro, because it would have to be
"re-worked" due to the fact that it was outside of Sigma-Tek's 6 month
window.

So... I'm trying to digest this situation and determine whether or not
I'm making a big deal out of nothing. Is 8 months on the shelf really
too long? Should receiving a re-packaged "factory new" gyro raise a red
flag, or is this a common procedure for these types of shops? Any other
first-hand experiences or advice?

Thanks,
JKG