Old February 9th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics

Default Blunt Trailing Edges

here is what I have read somewhere.

Blunted trailing edges on the wings such as are found on the Extra
series of aircraft where I believe this practice was first undertaken
cause a delay in the stall. Something to do with the turblence and the
associated vacuum causing a delay in separation. To the best of my
knowledge the idea was explored in Germany during the 40's(?). Having
looked at these aircraft up close these blunted trailing edges are 1/4
thick at most and I gather their effect is significant or I suspect Mr.
Extra would have done something else.

Cheers

.......... :-)) wrote:
Hi All,

Many modern aerobatic aircraft have blunt trailing edges on the wing and
ailerons. Can someone tell me:

1. Why it this done - what are the benefits and side effects. There is a lot
of contradictory information on the web and I simply cannot get to the
bottom of it.

2. What is theory behind it (a technical explanation please - I am an aero
engineer and understand aerodynamics and stability and control etc).

3. Who was the first to do it.

I have looked in all kinds of text books on stability and control and none
of them address the issue. This type of trailing edge appears to be unique
to aerobatic aircraft.

Thanks,

Steve