Old July 8th 03, 04:57 PM
Bob Esser

Default Citabria with gyros

After long consideration, I have decided on the type of plane to
purchase: A Citabria 7ECA. What led me to this decision was the
following desire. I want to be a part time instructor and I think the
perfect niche for me is roving tailwheel and spin trainer for the flight
schools in my area. I have about 75 hours in tailwheel planes and I am
nearing my commercial certificate, so, this will not happen for a few
months yet. So, tailwheel and spin training is my primary mission
profile.

Of course, add in that I would like to do some simple aerobatics in it
and possibly compete in basic and sportsman. I realize that a 7KCAB
would be better for the aerobatics purpose, but, it also has reduced
payload and increased operating cost. Besides, a 7ECA should be
competitive against the Cubs and Taylorcraft you occasionally see in the
Sport Aerobatics listings of recent competitions.

Here is the question: In order to make the plane more functional, and
increase its utility, it would be nice to have gyros in the panel. I
know that Citabrias have either a high or low panel, and that the high
panel can even be outfitted for IFR. How much damage does spinning and
occasional aerobatics do to the non-cagable gyros and how much extra
weight is involved in the high panel and three gyros (plus possibly one
more radio)?

Thanks for the information.

--
Bob Esser, Ph.D.
Electronic Sciences and Technology Division