Old November 6th 04, 02:46 PM
Tom Jackson

I had a similar story (Piper Warrior):
A previous owner experienced oil failure in the late 80's. Engine seized,
had to put down in a parking lot. On rollout, hit a car with one wing.

Wing was replaced, engine was replaced. Didn't bother me one bit. My
pre-purchase A&P (also a broker, and personal friend of my dad) told me that
as long as the repair was fixed, it really didn't effect the value - as long
as it was mechanically sound, flew normal, had all the correct paperwork,
etc.

Also, my dad owns a Piper Comanche. A previous owner had installed an
automotive-grade oil hose, and we experienced and oil failure (ironic, huh?)
and had to put down in an oat's field. Engine was basically shot, and we
bent up a few wing skins and broke off one of the mains as we slid sideways
down the field.

Engine was replaced, wing skins replaced, repainted, etc. Plane looks
fabulous, flies great, has all the paperwork, etc. and should command full
value (accident was in 1975.)

Personally, I wouldn't sweat it, as long as you fully understand the extent
of the damage, and the related repair - especially if the damage occurred
some time ago ("time will tell".)

"The Weiss Family" wrote in message
I just bought a plane with damage history.
One accident was in the 1970's.
Then a wingtip ripped off pulling out of a hangar in 2000.
All repairs were fixed.
I don't even think twice about it.
Plane flies great and is beautiful.

My advice...
If you can't tell the difference, the plane flies straight and true and is
mechanically sound, then don't sweat it.
Especially if your going to fly it for a while, and not just turn around
and sell it.

Adam
N7966L
Beech Super III