Old September 27th 09, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Default ILS approach to near minimums - Video

On Sep 26, 11:10*am, " wrote:
First time for me going down to near ILS minimums by myself. Video
includes how I brief my IFR approaches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCk_RRMemnM

Video I think does a good job on demonstrating why the runway may not
be always exactly in front of you after wind correction angle
considerations and ONLY being 1/2 dot off the localizer.

I flew for 2.5 hours waiting for ceilings to climb above 500 AGL. *My
next video will contain the VOR alpha back into Madison executed at
minimums. ATC and I had an on air "bet" going on whether I'd make it
in. *To my surprise, I would have lost that bet.

I noticed when you broke out at 500 feet agl you aligned the axis of
the airplane with the runway then tended to drift a little left, and
coordinated turned yourself onto the center line again. Absolutely
nothing wrong with that, but my habit is a little different. I
continue to fly the localizer at whatever crab angle I need to keep
the needle centered and when much lower drop the windward wing, kick
the airplane into alignment and transition to a cross wind landing.
It would be interesting for the thread to address the advantanges and
disadvantages of each method.