Old April 10th 04, 05:57 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Stefan" wrote in message

No. After landing, he was instructed by the tower to leave the runway
and taxi to the apron via taxiway xy. Other than one would expect, this
particular taxiway is not controlled by Ground but by Tower, because it
crosses another runway. The Fokker crew was not aware of this but
thought "well, we're on the taxiway, let's switch to Ground". Ground
wasn't aware of this, because they don't care what's on this taxyway,
and Tower couldn't contact them anymore.

So how did he have a runway incursion on a taxiway?

Of course the Fokker should never have entered that crossing runway
without permission in the first place.

Ah, so he had it when he crossed the other runway. Well, the tower
shouldn't have instructed him to taxi to the apron if that involved crossing
a runway being used by a departing aircraft. Regardless what frequency he
was on, if the runway incursion ocurred while the aircraft was correctly
following an instruction from the tower the tower controller has to bear a
good share of the blame.

For details and an airport map look at the link I posted earlier.

I clicked on it, got a .pdf file in German.