Old March 21st 17, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default We need an ASW-19 rebirth for $25,000

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 2:34:09 AM UTC-6, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 3:50:01 AM UTC+3, wrote:
Again, no one on here will discuss these questions:

How much was a PW-5 brand new?

Is it not a rhetorical question? I believe my club's two PW5s in 1994 or 1995 (which were somewhere in the first five or six serial numbers) cost NZ$25000, or about US$15000.

What would that be worth in today's dollars with inflation?

That's US$24000 now, based on US inflation.

I suspect other factors such as the cost of living in Poland might be more relevant -- that looks to me more like a factor of 3.5 since the mid 90s, which would make a PW5 cost $52500 now.

IIRC when the PW-6 was early in production, if you bought one, they would give you a PW-5 to go with it. Not sure how many took advantage of that, however, the late Dick Johnson donated a PW-6 and PW-5 to the Mississippi State University Gliding Club, so perhaps he did.