Old August 16th 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Andrew Gideon

Default 430W doubling in cost?

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 20:16:54 -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

Indeed. My local avionics shop estimated more like $4000 for the whole
deal.

I was just quoted an expected maximum of $2500 (including the $1500 to
Garmin) per radio from my local shop.

[...]
Addition of a
decent terrain warning map

That same shop told me that terrain is *not* a part of the W upgrade,
though still remains an available add-on.

Much faster updates to track (maybe 5 Hz) This last one might be of use
in IMC with gyro problems.

Dunno. Digital numbers won't be readable at 5 changes per second.
Analog outputs are basically just CDI/VDI's, whose super-rapid updates
may help only during the tail end of an approach.

I think, if one is using track as a replacement for a failed DG for
example, that 5 updates a second would be quite manageable. A second
is a long time, in that sense. Say "Mississippi", for example, while
tapping your finger five times. Once you get the rhythm, it's not tough.
But I've not tried actually reading a display like this.

Also, consider that if you're spinning so fast that the ones digit is
illegible, you can still see the direction of your spin with the tens
digit. That's enough to slow the turn so as to render the ones digit
usable again (plus provide for some other benefits {8^).

- Andrew