Old December 19th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

Default AoA keep it going!

toad wrote:
On Dec 19, 3:43 pm, John Smith wrote:
...snip...
for me. I don't see what an AoA instrument could add to this. If you are
distracted enough to get slow with an ASI, then I see no reason why you
wouldn't be distracted enough to get slow with an AoAI.

This seems to be the real reason people stall. It's not that they
don't know what the speed is, it's that they can't maintain the speed
that they do know !

An indicator for an AoA meter could consist of something as simple as
three LEDs, say a bright red one for approaching stall, green for
minimum sink, blue for best L/D and above, with the red LED blinking
faster as AoA gets closer to stall. The LEDs could be mounted on a
short stick above the instrument glare shield, or even attached to
sunglasses such that it would always be at the edge of the field of
view. All the interpretation required is that the bright flashing red
light means get the nose down, right now.

No one has said anything about taking away anyones ASI...

Marc