Old July 14th 04, 04:20 PM
Morgans

"Bushy" wrote in message
While on a smaller scale, the local model shop rc guru said I should mount
the ten dollar extra cylinder cooling water jacket they sell for rc cars

the fins of the head of my motor and their twenty dollar smoke kit which
was a bit of high temp tubing and a servo operated valve that squashed the
tubing to cut off flow. Pressure is supplied to the tank via a tapped
fitting to the motor crankcase that required removing the back plate
drilling and tapping a hole and inserting the fitting. This was to suit an
OS46, so it wasn't a large rc motor.

Heating the oil prior to injecting it gave more smoke. I do not know if

this
would help on most airshow type high powered display aircraft, but would
expect some sort of preheat would give much more smoke on a smaller, lower
horsepower aircraft. This could be as simple as leaving the drum of oil

out
in the sun (or on the combustion stove in Alaska) before filling your

smoke
oil tank.

Hope this helps,
Peter

Many differences, between model smoke, and full size smoke, and even big
model smoke, and that mainly is the heat available.

Small model engines run on nitro methane, and the alcohol does not burn as
hot, giving low quality smoke. The larger gas engines for models have
plenty of heat. So do the big planes, even too much heat, while running
wide open. (hot)
--
Jim in NC

---