Old May 5th 15, 08:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default IOS App for Skylines?

On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 8:26:23 AM UTC+3, jfitch wrote:
On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 7:36:50 PM UTC-7, Sean Fidler wrote:
Same here. iPhone 6 and the Galaxy Note 4 are far, far (the two smartphones that I use), better than the now ancient Oudie in literally every conceivable form of measure other than raw brightness. Thee difference in total brightness is very small now with the latest smartphones. SeeYou is so outdated that its almost comical. It truly pains me to use an Oudie when the far better devices are in the pocket of my glider (still illegal to use them in the USA although that might be evolving soon...).

Only illegal to use them with the cell transmitter on, and then only for obsolete reasons. "could result in suspension of service and/or a fine" - does anyone know of a fine that has been paid? If you carry a cell phone in your glider you realize you have to have the regulations posted on or near each cell phone...

Oh! It's a FCC regulation, not an FAA one?

In NZ it's always been common for pilots to use their mobile phones. Very often you can be shadowed from air traffic control transponders by mountains (or simply distance and lack of radio power) and ATC doesn't even blink when a pilot phones them in-flight with a position report or query.