Old January 24th 19, 06:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian[_2_]

Default Tow Immunity Syndrome

On 2019/01/24 03:05, wrote:

there are a LOT of problems with tow-planes and towing at the moment;
big cost problems and regulatory difficulties, and the national
supply of towplanes is going down, and I am really worried about the
longer-term existence of our sport in the USA, due to towplane
problems.

Our cub just bought one of these:

http://airplanefactory.co.za/aircraft/sling-2/

We bought a 2nd hand airframe and had it fitted with a brand new Rotax
914 turbo engine and auto variable pitch prop. It is fitted with a Tost
tow rope retract winch.

So far so good. Tow performance matches the 180 HP Super Cub it
replaced. Operating costs are much lower. Lower fuel consumption and
mogas that is cheaper than avgas. The jury is still out on the long term
cost of ownership. We will find out when we have to replace that turbo
motor.

The airframe is aluminium, tricycle u/c lets it taxi and turn around
like a golf cart and it is easier to find qualified tuggies - but they
have to have experience and ratings to handle the turbo VP pitch motor.
It was designed as an LSA trainer so it is light but not too fragile.

It helps that the manufacturer is a local South African company and they
are 150% behind supporting us. We have some very keen members who want
to make it work and some others who extended low interest bridging
finance to the club.

A lot of time was spent with our local regulators to put together a
package that ticked all the boxes. Ours is registered as an aeroplane,
not an LSA. But the new increase weight limit for LSA regulations may
help in some countries.

My only negative comment is it needs some positive flap to keep speed
down to 120km/h while towing, particularly for fabric trainers. But on
the other hand it tows a fully ballasted 21m JS1 in over 35C. Our site
is near sea level but the turbo will help for higher altitude sites.

Lastly it takes a while to warm up the turbo motor and more idle time to
cool down after landing. So it is important not to stop between tows.
The next glider pilot just HAS to be ready when it lands!