Old May 30th 05, 02:58 PM
Matt Whiting

Have you ever "made up" an approach to a nonexistent airport for the
purposes of training or currency? I mean, to pick a space in the
boonies, and then use nearby navaids to fashion a homemade approach to
an imaginary runway. Some instructors will do this.

Yes, as my local airport didn't have an NDB approach, but it did have an
AM radio station about 5 miles away. This was only for training
purposes with an instructor, however.

Now, I was wondering, is there any way flying such an "approach" could
be loggable towards instrument currency?

I don't know the answer, but I'd be surprised if the FAA would consider
that to be a loggable approach for currency.

(obviously, under the hood, VFR, with a safety pilot. You'd be insane
and illegal to try this with real IMC)

The advantages this could provide are mostly convenience (not having to
deal with the traffic-related delays associated with an approach to a
real airport with real controllers) and also variety -- you could fly
flavors of approaches that aren't available near where you live.

What do you guys thing?

I live in a fairly rural area and have uncontrolled airports within 30
miles or so that have published approaches. And my current home field
is controlled, but isn't busy so flying practice approaches there seldom
uses any significant additional time.

Matt