Old November 8th 04, 11:03 PM
Matt Whiting

Bob Clough wrote:

I'm still a student pilot so can't add any value to the IFR discussions, but
I am curious about the concerns around wake turbulence from a departing
aircraft on the runway you are about to land on. I thought wake turbulence
could only happen when significant lift, ie enough lift to get the plane in
the air, is being generated. Therefore, as a landing aircraft, you wouldn't
experience wake turbulence from a departing aircraft until you roll down the
runway past the point of the other plane's rotation. By then you're solidly
on the ground. Right? So does a landing aircraft really have to worry
about wake turbulence from a departing aircraft?

Only if you land past the point where the departing aircraft broke ground.

Matt