Old July 25th 03, 05:34 AM
Teacherjh

surely you don't expect me to believe you can't get a replacement
faxed to you just because you're on a cross-country flight? I think it's
safe to say, if there's an FAA inspector around, a fax machine can't be far
away.

There you are on a cross country, you find it prudent to stop for fuel earlier
than you had planned, you pick out an airport and land there. You do have
enough gas to continue the flight at least part way, but you are gassing up
here because you've been there before and the gas is cheap. You taxi up and
are met by the airport owner and the constable.

The airport's closed by NOTAM - but you didn't get NOTAMs for this particular
unintended stop.

The constable (just like a highway traffic stop) asks to see your license, and
you hold it out to him. Just like a highway stop, he asks you to take it out
of the wallet and hand it to him, along with your official government issued
photo ID.

You say no on the highway and you're taken to jail.

You say no here and you may well be taken away for "national security" reasons.
You say yes and hand it over; they give you back your pilot license and keep
your photo ID "just for a while".

It's 8:30 pm. Friday night. July 1.

Jose