Old September 3rd 03, 07:53 PM
Ray Andraka

Well, I feel vindicated. I haven't changed my let down procedure as a
result of putting in an EDM700. The procedure I was using typically only
cools the engine by a few degrees/minute, about 1/10th the default limit
set on the unit. Basically, I leave the trim alone, which keeps airspeed
more or less constant, and drop about 4" of manifuld pressure without
touching the mixture. With the new engine I have been also reducing RPM
to keep from driving the engine with the prop, in which case I do see a
bit more of a temp drop, but still well under 20 deg/min. 4" gets me a
500 FPM descent without touching anything else, and then putting the power
back in I get back to level flight without ever messing with trim.

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

But I can see where it *could* take at least an extra minute for
some planes which are slicker or if the pilot is unwilling to just
throttle back.

Yes, I call it the EDM effect. Once you buy a graphic engine analyiser
and see how fast your engine freezes when you pull power, you'll think
twice before pulling back too far when coming down.

-Robert

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950