Old July 17th 03, 04:07 PM
Dewey M. Sasser

writes:

My environment:

sometimes Stock '74 Skyhawk intercom
sometimes PS-Eng portable plugged in to above
once stock '79 Warrior II intercom

- Tried a DRE-6000, and can best describe it as complete crap.

Had similar experience. My DRE-6000s were good on active, sucked on
passive and the mic sucked at all times. I returned 'em.

- Are the Lightspeed XC solid with descent passive and mild active?
Seem like a good choice, but look a bit flimsily constructed.

This is what I've been using for the past 50 hours or so (including a
few 6+ hour days in the airplane). Very nice.

Quieter and more comfortable than the DCs normally in the airplane.
Not flimsily constructed (but you can't use 'em to drive in your tie
down spikes as you can with the DCs). Reversible boom if you care.
Very impressive battery life. Fairly light weight.

The ANR is not extreme but makes a noticeable difference in the low
frequency. Couple that with very nice passive attenuation and I find
the results very nice. Unlike other ANRs I've tried (e.g. DCs) it
does not have a high frequency whine.

It may not be the absolute best out there but I'm pretty sure it's
the best price/performance point.

- Can mic volumes typically be adjusted on headsets?

Mic adjustment screw on the boom (I've had to use it to cut down
levels for the Skyhawk intercom -- the PS-Eng portable has always been
just fine with it on whatever setting).

--
Dewey M. Sasser